Thursday, May 1, 2008

Starting the Journey...

Well, we started a journey this week - my wife and I. We've made the decision to seek out weight loss surgery options. It's, of course, exciting yet scary at the same time.

So, I want to preface this with a few things...

Both my wife and I have been overweight all our lives. Personally, I'm not going to sit here and blame 'social issues' or 'psychological mishap' as the cause of my obesity. Some things in life just seem so hard to reach no matter how hard you try. Given that, I'm sure some of you reading this might be saying to yourself, "well, damn, if they would just get off their ass, eat right and exercise, they wouldn't need surgery." To that, I can only say one thing... you right. To an extent. To this point, I've thought the same thing. But after years and years of trying everything under the sun with minimal to moderate results but then seeing those results go out the window, it's kind of a kick in the balls, really. By the way, I should also state I'm going to be terribly open on this blog (whether you like it or not :))

I'm not going to go into details now as to what we've tried - maybe later. I'd probably be preaching to the choir anyway, right? Suffice, for now, to say that I've been through it all as many have.

Which brings another point. I can't count the number of times I've heard from people, "it's just a matter of eating right and exercising." Holy crap, you're a friggin' genius! Why didn't I think of that? What planet do you think I just came from? While you're at it, why don't you go tell Ray Charles that there' a stripper standing right in front of him...

Anyhow, as I said, we're beginning the journey to find a solution. Stay tuned...

No comments: