Sunday, May 4, 2008

Why?

I'm 439lbs. I have been greatly overweight for as long as I can remember, and even further. Just about everyone in my family going up the line is heavy. As I mentioned, I've tried everything including nutritionists, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig to the standard 'eat right and exercise'. I even had a personally trainer for close to a year. That produced great results - I lost almost 100 pounds that way. But alas, it came back when attempting to get back to 'normal life'. There's only so much dry chicken breasts and steamed broccoli one can take. So, I've hovered around 400lbs for the last several years.

As I mentioned, I've always been of the mindset that surgery was the 'easy way out'. My mother decided (against my advisement no less) to go for WLS (weight loss surgery). 4 years later, her life has taken a dramatic turn for the better in numerous aspects. I was relatively skeptical of the option and still remain mildly so.

But now I look at it this way, something has to be done. I want to live - for myself, my wife, my family and (maybe someday) my children. Time for a change - and it's becoming obvious that I can't do it on my own.

No comments: